{"id":10749,"date":"2018-05-11T11:27:20","date_gmt":"2018-05-11T11:27:20","guid":{"rendered":"http:\/\/dinnews.in\/?p=10749"},"modified":"2018-05-11T11:27:20","modified_gmt":"2018-05-11T11:27:20","slug":"indian-journalist-held-in-custody-in-australia-on-people-smuggling-charges","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/dinnews.in\/?p=10749","title":{"rendered":"Indian journalist held in custody in Australia on people smuggling charges"},"content":{"rendered":"<p><b>Melbourne, May 11 (DIN NEWS)<\/b>\u00a0An Indian journalist charged with an aggravated people smuggling offence by Australian authorities for facilitating the travel of a &#8220;fake media contingent&#8221; to attend the Commonwealth Games will stay in custody for six more weeks, a media report said today.<\/p>\n<p>Rakesh Kumar Sharma, 46, was detained along with eight others by Australian Border Force (ABF) officers at the Brisbane Airport in March because his companions&#8217; accreditations were not genuine.<\/p>\n<p>The Commonwealth Games were held on the Gold Coast south of Brisbane from April 4-15.<\/p>\n<p>The eight, aged between 20 and 37, were allegedly holding temporary activity visas and claiming to be accredited media representatives, Brisbane Times reported.<\/p>\n<p>Sharma is described in court documentation as a journalist. Prosecutors claim his accreditation was genuine but he &#8220;facilitated&#8221; the group&#8217;s travel, the report said.<\/p>\n<p>Sharma, who is from Haryana, appeared in Brisbane Magistrates Court and charged with an aggravated people smuggling offence, which carries a minimum five-year sentence if convicted.<\/p>\n<p>The charge applies to anyone accused of smuggling five or more people and carries a maximum sentence of 20 years.<\/p>\n<p>Sharma is also accused of causing &#8220;false or forged&#8221; documents to be presented on behalf of his eight fellow travellers in relation to a visa application, between December 2017 and March this year.<\/p>\n<p>Legal Aid solicitor Axel Beard used Google Translate to communicate with the accused as he stood in the dock during the first brief hearing.<\/p>\n<p>Sharma was remanded in custody in Brisbane Magistrates Court on Friday, with his matter adjourned to June 22 at the request of commonwealth prosecutors.<\/p>\n<p>In another blow to his legal cause, he will no longer be represented by private law firm Legal Guru after failing to satisfy the terms of his retainer.<\/p>\n<p>He will instead by represented by Legal Aid.<\/p>\n<p>His case has been delayed as Australian Federal Police continue preparing their brief of evidence, with time being taken to examine a laptop and nine mobile phones.<\/p>\n<p>The ABF confirmed the other eight had been taken into immigration detention.<\/p>\n<p>Local authorities had been tipped off by officials in Bangkok that the group might not be genuine, the ABF had said in a statement describing the group as a &#8220;fake media contingent&#8221;.<\/p>\n<p>All nine people were found to be carrying &#8216;false or forged&#8217; documents.<\/p>\n<p>Australian Border Force Queensland regional commander Terry Price said any attempts to exploit the Commonwealth Games and Australia&#8217;s visa program would not be tolerated.<\/p>\n<p>&#8220;Anyone wishing to enter Australia, including athletes, team officials, spectators and the media, must hold a valid visa and accreditation and must be deemed to be a legitimate visitor,&#8221; he said in a statement.<\/p>\n<p>Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Corporation chairman Peter Beattie had said there was no concern despite the security scare.<\/p>\n<p>&#8220;There should be no issue in relation to security at these Commonwealth Games. None at all,&#8221; he said.<\/p>\n\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"<p>Melbourne, May 11 (DIN NEWS)\u00a0An Indian journalist charged with an aggravated people smuggling offence by Australian authorities for facilitating the travel of a &#8220;fake media contingent&#8221; to attend the Commonwealth Games will stay in custody for six more weeks, a media report said today. Rakesh Kumar Sharma, 46, was detained along with eight others by Australian Border Force (ABF) officers at the Brisbane Airport in March because his companions&#8217; accreditations were not genuine. The Commonwealth Games were held on the Gold Coast south of Brisbane from April 4-15. The eight,&hellip;<\/p>\n","protected":false},"author":1,"featured_media":10750,"comment_status":"closed","ping_status":"closed","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":[],"categories":[8,4],"tags":[],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/dinnews.in\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/posts\/10749"}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/dinnews.in\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/dinnews.in\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/dinnews.in\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/users\/1"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/dinnews.in\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Fcomments&post=10749"}],"version-history":[{"count":1,"href":"https:\/\/dinnews.in\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/posts\/10749\/revisions"}],"predecessor-version":[{"id":10751,"href":"https:\/\/dinnews.in\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/posts\/10749\/revisions\/10751"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/dinnews.in\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/media\/10750"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/dinnews.in\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Fmedia&parent=10749"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/dinnews.in\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Fcategories&post=10749"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/dinnews.in\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Ftags&post=10749"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}