{"id":15487,"date":"2018-07-19T12:57:32","date_gmt":"2018-07-19T12:57:32","guid":{"rendered":"http:\/\/dinnews.in\/?p=15487"},"modified":"2018-07-19T12:58:55","modified_gmt":"2018-07-19T12:58:55","slug":"hopeful-of-saving-reservation-for-scst-javadekar","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/dinnews.in\/?p=15487","title":{"rendered":"Hopeful of saving reservation for SC\/ST: Javadekar"},"content":{"rendered":"<p><b>New Delhi, Jul 19 (DIN NEWS)<\/b> The government has put on hold recruitment for teaching positions in universities and colleges pending a decision on the special leave petition it has filed against a court order curtailing reservation for SC\/ST and OBCs, HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar said today.<\/p>\n<p>He said the government is committed to 50 per cent reservation to SC\/ST and OBCs and it &#8220;does not agree&#8221; with the Allahabad High Court ruling that had in last April struck down a circular prescribing institution-wise reservation to fill vacant faculty positions.<\/p>\n<p>&#8220;We are hopeful we will be able to save reservation for SC, ST and OBCs,&#8221; he said replying to zero hour mention by opposition members in the Rajya Sabha.<\/p>\n<p>&#8220;Reservation is a Constitutional right&#8230; we stand by reservation and are committed to provide it to SC\/ST and OBCs,&#8221; he said adding the Union Government and University Grants Commission (UGC) have filed separate SLPs against the order and the next date of hearing is on August 13.<\/p>\n<p>He said the Allahabad High Court order was later upheld by the Supreme Court, forcing UGC to issue the March 5 circular laying down a new mechanism for implementing faculty reservations, which is calculating total posts department or subject-wise rather than institution-wise.<\/p>\n<p>This meant calculating reservation in teaching posts by department, instead of basing the quota as on the number of posts available at university.<\/p>\n<p>Previously, SC, ST and OBC faculty positions were calculated by treating the entire university as a unit. It grouped all posts of a grade, such as assistant profession, in all departments of a university to calculate quota. Under the new formula, where every department will be considered one separate unit, there will be a lower chance of positions being set aside for quota as there may be fewer openings.<\/p>\n<p>Javadekar said his ministry had yesterday ordered a stop on filling of vacancies at universities\/colleges pending decision on SLP.<\/p>\n<p>&#8220;No harm will be done to reservations (to SC, ST and OBCs),&#8221; he said.<\/p>\n<p>Earlier, raising the issue through a zero hour mention, Ram Gopal Yadav (SP) said the UGC had on March 5 issued a new 13-point reservation roster for SC\/ST and OBC category that provided for preparing reservation list keeping department\/ subject as a unit instead of the university\/college.<\/p>\n<p>He said as per the Constitution, 15 per cent, 7.5 per cent and 27 per cent reservation is provided for SC\/ST and OBC respectively.<\/p>\n<p>Till now, the UGC had specifically prohibited the practice of making department-wise cadres as that would lead to denial of reservation in small departments.<\/p>\n<p>He demanded that the UGC order be declared &#8220;null and void&#8221;, a demand that was supported by Leader of the Opposition and Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad who said the roster would curtail reservation to SC, ST and OBC.<\/p>\n<p>Azad said while the Constitution provided for reservation to SC and ST, the Congress-government had in 1993 provided the same to other backward classes (OBCs).<\/p>\n<p>The practice of creating department-wise category is strictly forbidden, he said.<\/p>\n<p>Ashok Siddharth (BSP) said after the UGC order, vacancies have been advertised and such recruitment must be stopped.<\/p>\n\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"<p>New Delhi, Jul 19 (DIN NEWS) The government has put on hold recruitment for teaching positions in universities and colleges pending a decision on the special leave petition it has filed against a court order curtailing reservation for SC\/ST and OBCs, HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar said today. He said the government is committed to 50 per cent reservation to SC\/ST and OBCs and it &#8220;does not agree&#8221; with the Allahabad High Court ruling that had in last April struck down a circular prescribing institution-wise reservation to fill vacant faculty positions.&hellip;<\/p>\n","protected":false},"author":1,"featured_media":15488,"comment_status":"closed","ping_status":"closed","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":[],"categories":[26,4],"tags":[],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/dinnews.in\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/posts\/15487"}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/dinnews.in\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/dinnews.in\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/dinnews.in\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/users\/1"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/dinnews.in\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Fcomments&post=15487"}],"version-history":[{"count":2,"href":"https:\/\/dinnews.in\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/posts\/15487\/revisions"}],"predecessor-version":[{"id":15490,"href":"https:\/\/dinnews.in\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/posts\/15487\/revisions\/15490"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/dinnews.in\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/media\/15488"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/dinnews.in\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Fmedia&parent=15487"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/dinnews.in\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Fcategories&post=15487"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/dinnews.in\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Ftags&post=15487"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}